Kidney Stones…

Well, the last two weeks of the Weight Loss for Warriors challenge did not go down as I had hoped it would! A few weeks ago, I had been diagnosed with a giant kidney stone in my left kidney. When I say giant, I mean giant. It was 1.7cm which was not going to come out on it’s own. So, I met with my urologist and she advised me that I had to have surgery. At the time, which was May 20th, I had advised to them that I wanted it done on June 17th which was after my birthday and seemed like it would be far enough away that I would be able to wrap my brain around it. See, I hate needles or anything that means a foreign object will be inside me. It freaks me out. A lot. Especially, IVs!


Anyway, on May 30th I got another kidney stone attack. If you have ever had kidney stones, you will know that it is the most excruciating pain that you will ever experience (I’ve never been in labor but I hear that it’s tied with that). Nothing kills the pain outside of maybe morphine or some other really strong pain medicine that a hospital has to provide. Anyway, this attack lasted 22hrs and I realized I couldn’t do it anymore so I called them and moved it up to June 3rd. The procedure was a Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy, where I am laid on a bed with a water pad behind my back and the machine pushes sound waves into my kidney area to smash the kidney stone. They also had to insert a stent, which is a tube that runs from my kidney to my bladder.


So, yesterday at 6:45am, I woke up and I was at the hospital about 7:20am for my surgery which started at 7:45am. The freakiest moments were when I had to have the IV put in. It was being put in my hand, and I freaked out. I had a mini panic attack and omg, I thought the world was going to end. However, once they got it in, I calmed down. When I got upstairs to where the surgery is performed, the anesthesiologists gave me some anxiety medicine which kicked right in. It was amazing. That was the last thing that I remember… I woke up with oxygen on, and I felt like I just woke up from a nap. No pain but omg, I had to use the bathroom SO bad. It hurt so bad! They gave me a bedpan but yea, that wasn’t going to happen so I told them I’d wait til I got back downstairs. Finally, I got to go to the bathroom and it hurt. A lot. It still hurts! I can’t walk or use the bathroom without sharp stabbing pains shooting through my bladder. Needless to say, the stent that is in hurts like nobodies business when I have to use the bathroom or stand/walk. They gave me vicodin but apparently, I am immune to the Vicodin because it doesn’t do jack for me! It’s so annoying.

However, I am not allowed to do strenuous exercise (not that I could anyway!) or lift anything over 20lbs (again… couldn’t if I wanted to because bending down also hurts). I also have very little appetite so I am not in the mood for full fledged meals yet. Basically, my last two weeks of the Weight Loss for Warrior challenge are down the pooper! Oh well, once I feel better, I will stick to my healthy food eating and continue to progress for more weight loss.


Speak Your Mind